Sunday, June 11, 2006

Ordination

This morning I was ordained as a ruling elder in WPC.

Again, wow.

If you haven't seen it before, it's a very simple ceremony. During the worship service, the elect officers were called up to the front. (I was in my choir robe - it's long enough for me, but I tend to trip over it for that same reason!) Wade gave us a charge; basically, we have not "arrived" spiritually, we must work all the more to conform our lives to the pattern of Jesus, we must study God's Word even more deeply, and be dilligent in our work. We then responded to the questions for ordination and installation (all affirmative). The five of us being ordained (3 elders and 2 deacons) then kneeled and the current elders laid their hands on us and prayed over us. (yup, tripped over my robe when getting up) The elders all then shook our hands and - that's it.

I'm struck by how simple this is. Or perhaps a better word is plain. But then, that is true of the events the Bible prescribes for the life of the Church: sprinking/pouring water, eating bread, drinking wine, singing together, listening to God's Word, prayer, and the laying on of hands. Things that the simplest among us can participate in and learn from, and that the deepest thinkers will always find a mystery.

And so it begins. We have a Session meeting at 5:15 today.

No comments: